Home arrow Overseas Couples
Overseas couples PDF Print E-mail

Overseas Visitors Wishing to Marry in Australia

Working with overseas couples for an Australian Wedding is a wonderful experience for a celebrant. Regardless of nationality you are able to be married in Australia.

The marriage must comply with the Australian Marriage Act, 1961.

However it is advisable to ensure your marriage in Australia is recognised within your own country. Talk to your own local authorities to confirm this before making arrangements.

Sometimes only one of the couple is from overseas and the other is from Australia.If both parties are from overseas you must complete:

a) A 'Notice of Intended Marriage' (form 13) and

b) Identification documentation must be viewedIf one of the couples if from overseas, the person who is residing in Australia, may complete the NOIM on the other couples behalf.

A Notice of Intended Marriage form must be completed and lodged with me at least one month and one day (one clear month) prior to the wedding. Once lodged with me the certificate is valid for a maximum period of 18months.

It is best to do this as early as possible to ensure there are no problems. A copy of this form can be downloaded from the Australian Government’s Attorney-Generals website:  The front of the form must be completed carefully and if you are both residents of an overseas county you must then take the form to an appropriate officer to witness your signatures.

  • An appropriate officer who can sign this form outside of Australia is one of the following:
  • An Australian Diplomatic Officer
  • An Australian Consular Officer
  • A Notary Public - A person in any country publicly authorised to attest contracts and perform other formalities. Someone authorised to witness legal documents. An employee of the Commonwealth authorised under para 3(c)  of the Consular Fees Act 1955
  • An Employee of the Australian Trade Commission authorised under para 3 (d) of the Consular Fees Act 1955  The easiest of all of these is usually the Notary Public.

Once this has been done the form should be forwarded to me by registered mail. When you arrive in the country I can then view your Identification (If born in Australia an Australian Birth Certificate is required. If born overseas - an overseas passport is acceptable, or an original Birth Certificate providing it is in English). 

Any documents pertaining to a previous marriage must be presented to me prior to the wedding. eg A Divorce Certificate or a Death Certificate.

Any documentation written in a foreign language must be transcribed into English and provided to me.  


Applying for entry into Australia under the prospective marriage fiancé plan

Application process - for full details please go to the website link:




Contact me for further clarification and further information.